One News Page Alert: Eric Burns: If I Still Worked at Fox News...

Dear Haytham,

We have been monitoring the world's news headlines on your behalf,
and found the following news report which matches your search term
*Make Money Earne*:

--------------------------------------------
Eric Burns: If I Still Worked at Fox News...
--------------------------------------------

I am not the Eric Burns who heads Media Matters, the
liberal watchdog group. I am the Eric Burns who used to host Fox News
Watch on the right-wing partial-news-but-mostly-opinion network. In
the past year and a half, since departing from Ailes and friends, I
have been much more silent about media matters than my namesake.

I speak out now because it is the time of year when one is
supposed to count blessings. I have several. Among them is that I do
not have to face the ethical problem of sharing an employer with Glenn
Beck.

Actually, Beck is a problem of taste as well as ethics. He
laughs and cries; he pouts and giggles; he makes funny faces and grins
like a cartoon character; he makes earnest faces yet insists he is a
clown; he cavorts like a victim of St. Vitus\'s Dance. His means of
communicating are, in other words, so wide-ranging as to suggest
derangement as much as versatility.

He is Huey Long without the political office.

He is Father Coughlin without the dour expression.

He is John Birch without the Society.

He is an embarrassment to all true conservatives, men and
women who believe sincerely, thoughtfully and sensibly that the role
of government in American life should be limited.

Of course, Beck does not call himself a conservative; he is,
rather, a libertarian, which may be defined as a conservative-squared,
a person who wants the feds to collect no money in taxes, spend no
money on programs, but make available all services that the
libertarian deems necessary for his own convenience and safety.

It is remarkable that Beck has attracted the amount of
attention he has. Remarkable because, every night, Fox\'s Sean
Hannity and MSNBC\'s Keith Olbermann stage a duel of one-sidedness in
political commentary that would have been the talk, and the shame, of
a more civil era.

Remarkable because, every night, Fox\'s Bill O\'Reilly stages
an exhibition of contentiousness, mean-spiritedness and
self-aggrandizement that would similarly have affronted civil viewers
of the past.

Remarkable because, every night, CNN\'s Campbell Brown stages
an exhibition of a different kind, one of honorable pugnacity, an
exhibition that would have stimulated viewers of the past but instead
makes her a part of her network\'s continuing decline in prime-time
ratings.

Yet Glenn Beck surpasses them all. He is the talk of the
talkers. It is he who causes commentators to comment, fans to swoom,
foes to fulminate. And it is he who has motivated me to burrow up
from my literary researches to opine on journalism one more time.

I ask myself what I would have done if I worked at Fox now.
Would I have quit, as the estimable Jane Hall did? Once a panelist on
my program, Hall departed for other reasons as well, but Beck was a
particular source of embarrassment to her, even though they never
shared a studio, perhaps never even met.

I think . . . I think the answer to my question does not do me
proud. I think, more concerned about income than principle, I would
have continued to work at Fox, but spent my spare time searching
avidly for other employment. I think I would not have been as
admirable as Jane Hall. I think I would not have reacted to Beck with
the probity I like to think I possess.

But, in my defense, I would never have gone out in public
without wearing those funny black eyeglasses with no glass, bushy
eyebrows and a fake nose.


Eric Burns\'s next book is Invasion of the Mind-Snatchers:
Television\'s Conquest of American in the Fifties, to be published in
the spring of 2010.

This news story was reported by Huffington Post 3 minutes ago

* Read the full article at Huffington Post:
http://bit.ly/53MJH4

* View related news coverage and people's tweets on One News Page:
http://bit.ly/7cJzys

* View more latest Entertainment headlines on One News Page:
http://bit.ly/oTYUO

* Configure your One News Page alerts:
http://www.onenewspage.com/newsalerts.php

Did you know? You can now see news-related twitter comments on One
News Page, and even tweet your own views.

--
One News Page - Latest Global News Headlines
http://www.onenewspage.com/

Newsdesk: http://www.onenewspage.com/newsdesk.htm
Latest Top Headlines: http://www.onenewspage.com/latest/Front+Page.htm
Top News RSS Feed: http://www.onenewspage.com/topnewsRSS.php

Member account settings: http://www.onenewspage.com/accountsettings.php

0 التعليقات:

 

©2009 Misc | by TNB